Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Meeting Ann Rule 7 years ago today

So for those that don't know, 7 years ago there was a chemical plant explosion here here I live. That shows the enormity of it and this article from CBS give more details of why we had to evacuate when we did. -It was insinuated that I wasn't planning to go to Atlanta that weekend and then made a sudden change of plans because I was a stalker fan or something.

Actually, the plan was my parents were planning to drive up from Atlanta to spend some time with us because I had had surgery on my ear and nasal passages. Then the plant explosion happened and we were being forced to evacuate so when my parents heard this (by the time we called them they were already seeing it on CNN)  they said pack that car and get your butts down here NOW!

I suddenly recalled that Ann Rule would be in town with the book signing and I would indeed be able to make it! I was so excited because I had read all of her books at this point and waited with baited breath for every new one to come out. This time she was signing Green River Running Red and on top of that she had Tom Allanson from Everything She Ever Wanted and his wife there too!  I'd never been to a book signing so I was really excited and couldn't wait to go!

My husband and dad went with me because it was about a 45 minute drive from where my dad's house was and we only had the one car. We were having a big family dinner so we couldn't stay too long because my dad had to help my mom with prepping and cooking the dinner.  

So, while we were waiting for Ann to speak, we all got to know each other in our seats. We had a few people come up and join in the middle of our conversation and asked a few questions of me so I answered them then returned back to the conversation that had been going on.  Ann had brought her friend Donna Anders with her as well and it turns out she lived hear where my dad used to live in Seattle when we lived in Seattle. We did a little small talk while in line waiting for the books to be signed etc. some of which came back to hurt me later.
My dad and husband kindly took group pictures for everyone with the various cameras they were handed without being asked or thanked and out of the goodness of their hearts since they love photography.  Obviously they did a great job since Ann used one with her in it on her site for quite some time.

After a little bit I sat down with Tom Allanson to listen to him talk about his story and what he is doing these days.  I got so into the conversation listening to how the basement shooting of his mother and father went down that I lost track of all time and things around me.  My dad and husband had to drag me out of there because 1. we hadn't eaten at all that day, and 2. my mom was waiting on us.  Some girls said oh bye sarcastically as I was leaving and I was trying to say bye as I was being dragged out.

When I got back home later to NC I went back to the guestbook Ann used to have on her website and was the same way I have always been and people were chewing me out saying don't act like we are friends etc. Somehow I had offended people when they cut into a conversation to ask questions and I gave them answers and then continued on with the other conversation.  Also because I spent all my time with Tom Allanson.

Eventually, I get e-mail from Ann saying maybe I ought to go find a group that's more on my education level etc. She said the majority of her readers were stay at home moms not very educated etc. I was shocked and pissed off that she thought 1. so low of her readers 2. assumed so much about me that was wrong.  She assumed that 1. I was some rich how to do because of the price of  what my dad's house would have gone for at that time not when he actually sold it... it had doubled in price and 2. somehow I was above the majority of her reader base/ fans.

I was so mad because she accidentally sent me an e-mail she meant for her good friend Donna revealing the assumption that I was some stalker or out to do some warning Donna to not continue contact with me. I posted the e-mail of what she truly thought of her readers so they would know.  she was livid and I didn't care.  I thought they should know.  She had made bad assumptions about me and spread it everywhere blocking me from being able to respond or defend myself.

Totally changed my perspective on her.  I idolized her, I wasn't out to harm her in any way whatsoever. I was a fan just like everyone else. There were people at the book signing that were wanting to stalk her etc. My father and husband were there with me. Don't judge a book by it's cover or belongings. Now all but that signed book are up for sale on e-bay.  I have 1 book I'm sending to my sister since she's never read it and I have 1 other.  I may send that to her as well. I think I already sold the book of her daughters I had bought.

That's my lil hint for you, careful about how much you idolize someone,  most will disappoint you from what I've heard AND from what I've experienced.



No comments:

Post a Comment