Saturday, August 17, 2013

Andrea Sneiderman Trial

So, I've been down in Atlanta all week for the Andrea Sneiderman trial. She was originally charged with 3 bigger charges towards killing her husband but the Friday before the jury selection was to begin the state dropped those 3 charges. They can still bring those charges back. HLN/CNN decided that because they dropped those charges they would not be covering the case and would cover another case in its place.

I drove down Friday August 10, 2013 and am staying with my family in Canton.  See, I was born in Atlanta and lived there off and on for 14 years.  I grew up in Willow Pointe where everyone knew everyone and the kids ran freely from yard to yard, house to house, dawn til dusk no locked doors. When I moved back I lived in Brookstone I where you knew a lot of your neighbors because we moved in when it was just starting to be built.

I actually went back to my old first neighborhood last Saturday and the neighbors I grew up with still live there. I got to catch up with them and recall old times.  It was like nothing had changed!  I miss that neighborhood because in reality so much has changed in the 30 years since I have lived there in the world. My nieces can't do the same things their mom and I could.  I fear for their safety daily out in Canton.

The biggest change? People have started picking on people that are different from them for no reason. I showed up nice and early on Monday to the courthouse.  I was told to turn my cell phone off by some court attenders and then by the bailiff and I told him all the sounds and alerts were off.  The sidebar first thing was regarding the fact I was refusing to turn my phone off.  I heard at the end he would deal with it if something happened. I think they were concerned I might take photos too (I realized that later). I had to leave at the lunch break because my back was really bothering me. I found out at that time that it was NOT free for handicap parking in the tower as the court website had led to believe.

Tuesday morning I went to where the guy in the tower told me the free handicap parking was and was told it wasn't so I had to head back to get cash then head back to court. I got up to the floor and sat outside the courtroom waiting for the next break because they had told me the first day to turn my cell phone off and I said the sounds were all off I was tweeting live.  When I got on the floor there were a group of people that were all like "oh look who's back!" "why is she here?"

They went so far as to snap photos (yes I saw y'all whether or not you think I did) and say things such as "must be nice to have a job that pays enough to let you drive down here to attend a trial you aren't a part of" etc. you get the drift. I was dared by a friend to snap a pix since they had  since the sounds were off my phone they wouldn't hear it etc.  Let's just say silent hall shutter sound WAS active.  INNOCUOUS photo of the HALLWAY not people was taken and deleted.

This really set them off.  They started saying "oh you want to take our photos?" and started ridiculously posing.  At one point when someone came off the elevator they said look who's here! so I turned and with a big smile on my face I did a big animated wave and went back to ignoring them.  Turns out they were witnesses to boot!  I did something I shouldn't have because I was tired of them talking about me etc. so I posted a tweet... and if they were witnesses they shouldn't have seen it but it was to the tune of " (hashtag) to the catty bitches in the hallway I heard your entire conversation about me and that was very rude.

I know, I know, I stooped to their level.  When the break did come they ran up to the defense attorney's saying look who's here! why is she here?  They even at one point had tried to call security saying I was a suspicious person! (yes I heard that too girls)  As I went in the courtroom I caught them say "go get her" to the defense attorney etc.  I had deleted the photo and covered my camera so the bailiffs would be happy. I had also deleted the catty tweet.

I got to tweet for a few minutes until I tweeted the apology to those ladies in the hallway when I realized they were witnesses.  Then he made me turn my phone off and I did.  had a huge smile on my face for the rest of the day to show them they didn't get to me.... until I was heading back to Canton that night.

I was at a stop light and decided to put my top down but the light turned green, I freaked out and started driving... popped a tired and bent a wheel.  one of the hecklers was behind me.  just what I needed. AAA switched my tired to a donut and off to my folks I went.

Wednesday I went to the Tire shop to get the new tire we had ordered but then wheel was bent so I had to wait another day to get that back so I went home and rested because I really hadn't slept anyway. Thursday morning I got the tired put on and headed down to the courthouse just in time for closing arguments! I had rallied the troops from #DMTDC and a bunch of us came together at the last moment for them! we all barraged the courtroom for seats and floored Andreas side.

When I came up on the floor to begin with I heard " she's not taking my picture" several times over and just rolled my eyes because my phone wasn't on or even out! I ended up sitting in front of Rusty's family.  They are the sweetest people and no one is really caring about them.  During the break b/w arguments I asked how they were doing, if they had had something to eat or drink today etc. and they hadn't.  I told them they had to because Rusty wouldn't want them to be like this.  He would want them well to fight this fight for him. We talked about more I respect them enough to not post about it.

I went from the courthouse to a great get together with the #DMTDC! It was great meeting everyone in person! y'all rock! Thank you David for everything you have done and continue to do! OH! I didn't go down to the court house on Friday because I felt miserable but I live tweeted from my parents all day. I have decided to stay and go on Monday with my father to wait for a verdict. We won't be there to bother anyone, or disrupt anything. Both of our phones will be off when the judge is not on the bench or on the record. We respect the fact that everyone there has been affected by this case in one way or another and we don't want to add to it.

I drove down from the Raleigh area of NC for this. I have been to several big cases because I want to see the ins and outs of the courtroom procedures etc.  I'm considering going back to school for criminal justice.  It's no one's business why I'm there. Anyone can walk off the street and sit in there as it is open to the public. If you must know, I don't have a job and we had to pinch pennies for me to be able to do this. Thankfully I have family here I can stay with.  The wheel incident certainly didn't help things. Don't judge people before you meet them. I judged you because of what you were saying about me.


4 comments:

  1. You go girl! :) Don't let them get to you. Wanted to go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I'm gonna go Monday. Just rolls off my back.

      Delete
  2. (another Jean in NC, lol)

    Any time you need company to drive, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got it covered :) didn't take me too long to get down here and I'm used to the drive because my family is down here.

      Delete